I have been seeing quite a few "Top 10 R.E.M. songs" articles on the we over the past couple of months. Jude Rogers of The Guardian has submitted a list and this has got to be my favorite so far. I really love all the songs listed and love even more how the extra songs mentioned in the descriptions are also some of my favorites. It's a bit shocking that "Losing My Religion" didn't make the list. To this day, that song really stands up and is a staple of the 1990's. Of course, I could never list just my top 10, it would be much too difficult. I'll just have to sit back and enjoy others lists.
Each February I create a mix CD for Gina. It has happened every February since I have met her. This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix. That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate. However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's. The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version. The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording. We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend. It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.
Comments
Post a Comment