Skip to main content

Weekend Wrap-up

What a great weekend.  It started off Friday night with a nice DVD night at home.  We watched Nebraska, which was also playing at NCMA, but we decided to stay in for the night.  Interesting film, a little slow in parts, funny in others, and a nice examination of intra-family dynamics and brings questions of, how much do we REALLY know about our parents.

Saturday morning we were up early to meet the Cub Scouts at Durant Nature Park for what I thought would be a simple hike. Turns out the Webelos leader set up a nice nature program with the Raleigh Parks and Rec department.  The kids had a chance to learn about what kind of wildlife lives in the park, take samples from the lake and hike along the trails to continue the conversations about local wildlife.

We got back from the hike in time to watch the Arsenal match at Goodison Park against Everton.  Not a great result for me on either count.  I was hoping for a win for Arsenal, and spectacular performance from Tim Howard.  As it turns out the score at the end was 2-2.  Arsenal with one more point and Tim Howard with 2 GA.  Not a bad performance, but one goal too many to meet my requirements.

The main event of the weekend was the Chevelle show downtown.  It started out at Milton's with Jason and Lisa for an early dinner and then the drive downtown.  After waiting so long to see them, 14.5 years, the show did not disappoint.  Though I think I am getting too old to stand for four hours.  Jason got this video of The Clincher.

Sunday morning was the regular pick-up soccer game.  A beautiful morning, not too hot, low humidity and sunny.  We had a nice 8v8 game.  While walking the dog last night I was reflecting on the weekend and remarked to +Gina Beaudry  how nice it was.  One of the best "at home" weekends in quite a while.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...