Skip to main content

DJ's Need to Keep Quiet

Well, they can talk as long as they are not talking OVER the music.  This morning I was driving to work, flipping around the satellite radio stations.  Stopping on the 80's station I heard Mark Goodman and decided to wait to see what would play next.  I heard the beginning of the song.  Everybody Wants to Rule the World  by Tears for Fears.  Mark Goodman would not shut up.  Talking about NFL on some other radio station, this that and anything to fill the time up until the last moment before the singing was to begin.  I am sure it takes talent to fill that air and get out just in time, but some of us appreciate the entire song, and not just the portions with the vocals.

After that song I went to Alt Nation and Christian James Hand was on the air.  He announced the next song and got out of the way, let the whole song play, unencumbered by his voice.

I wonder if it is a matter of the way DJ's worked in the 80's as compared to today.  I will have to pay more attention in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

A Weekend in the VA Mountains

This past weekend we took a trip to the mountains of Virginia. It is an area we have visited before with the Boy Scout troop, but this time we went without the scouts. I have been riding consistently again for nearly a year after I bought a new to me cyclocross bike. You can read more about that here . After more than 2,800 miles on that bike since last June, it needed some more work. The headset was pretty much shot and would not be repaired in time for our planned trip to Virginia. So Gina suggested that I get a new bike. I ended up getting a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 from Giant Wake Forest . We arrived at our rental house very early Saturday morning. 1:30am in fact. We found a place to stay that was literally steps away from The Virginia Creeper Trail . Saturday was to be a day we went hiking at Grayson Highlands State Park . We met Gina's co-workers at the park just after 10:00 am and started our hike. We have camped at this park before with the Boy Scouts but have never ...