Going through my playlist that I mentioned yesterday, I am reminded of the diversity of instruments R.E.M. played from an early time in their career. While listening to Wendell Gee I distinctly recognize the banjo being played. This is the first song from their catalog, that I can pick out, uses an instrument other than guitar, bass, drums, piano/keyboard. A big deal was made of Peter Buck's mandolin playing when Losing My Religion was released. Evidence shows us that R.E.M. were using non-conventional rock instruments in the early 80's. More on this subject to come as I progress through the catalog of great music.
Each February I create a mix CD for Gina. It has happened every February since I have met her. This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix. That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate. However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's. The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version. The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording. We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend. It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.
Comments
Post a Comment