Skip to main content

Camping Day 3

July 1, 2014

Today we left behind Betsie River Campsite headed to the UP.  We timed our drive so that we would arrive in Mackinaw City when the USA World Cup game would start.  Unfortunately, we could not find a good location to watch.  Instead, we ate quickly and got back on the road so that we could at least listen while driving.  Once again we crossed the Mackinac Straits on the Mackinac Bridge
Not the best picture in the world, with all the bug splatters on the windshield, but still a nice piece of engineering.

Last summer we drove east.  This year we ventured west to Munising.  The Lake Michigan shore was quite impressive and reminded me of my home coast of North Carolina.
During the drive we had to stop for a restroom break.  It was at that time that the USA was in extra time.  Belgium had scored twice and Julian Green had just come on the field.  As I am exiting the restroom, Brendan comes to tell me the great news that Julian Green had scored.  Excited, I rush back to the car.  It was an exciting finish but not in our favor.  New rule, no more road trips during the World Cup.  I guess we have to wait four more years.  

The drive now continues further north and west.  The sky darkens and rain clouds appear.  We drive through patches of rain before finally reaching Otter Lake Campground in the Hiawatha National Forest.  When we arrive, the rain has stopped, but the sky is still threatening.  The first thing I notice is the mosquitoes.  As I remember from last year, the UP mosquitoes are the worst I have ever encountered.  After applying insect repellent, we start to set up tents.  About half way through, the rain continues.  We eventually get the tents up and decide to drive around town.  We make a phone call to the rest of our camping party we left behind at Betsie River.  They have already arrived and are at a family members house nearby.  We decide to meet them there for dinner.  Eventually, we all end up sleeping on the floor for the night.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...