Skip to main content

Camping Day 2

June 30, 2014

After a breakfast in camp, we made our way to Sleeping Bear Dunes.  Driving around the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, we stopped a couple of times to get out of the car and experience this amazing place on foot.  It was a warm and sunny day, which suited me.  The sand and grasses reminded me of being home.  However, these dunes are something to behold.  Nothing like the size of the dunes (Sugarloaf) I am accustomed to.










Eventually, we make it to the highest dune on the drive.  +Gina Beaudry has told me about this dune, but words do not do it justice.  You must experience this for yourself.  At first, my intention was to not go all the way to the bottom.  However, +Derp Noobington rushed ahead.  My parenting took over once he passed the point in which I could no longer see him.  I just wanted to make sure he would be OK.  Eventually all the kids made it to the bottom and I was with them  The other adults, aka, sane people, were at the top of the dune.  Of course they had the dogs too.  I was able to put my feet in Lake Michigan at that time and snap this photo.
Eventually we all made it back up this incredible climb.  
Crawling in the sand.

Though some of us found it more difficult than others.  +Joshua Stewart 
What followed was a picnic at another big dune.  This time we were at the bottom and you could go up as high as you like and then make your way back down.  I decided I had done enough climbing and just stayed at the bottom.
Apparently, he had not climbed enough

As we finish our lunch, we see a storm rolling in.  We pack up and head back to camp.  We are able to get dinner in but not much more.  The rain, lighting and thunder hit. Maynard, being afraid of thunder, and his first time camping, is not happy.  He hides in the car.  Fortunately, +Joshua Stewart made himself available to him.  They both slept in the car that night.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...