Skip to main content

The Cost Of Speeding

First of all I am not trying to make any excuses for my reluctance to obey the posted speed limit. I accept that I was driving faster than I should have. However, this $30 ticket cost me, in real cash paid, $203. That's right you math wizards, $188 in court costs. You REAL math wizards will see there is a problem there, more on that later. Maybe we should look at the other costs associated with my infraction.

Here are just a few things that come to mind:


  1. I got about a dozen letters from law firms wanting to represent me in court. Each firm had to print and send the letter to me which costs them money. Since I decided to hire none of them, this is overhead. Does this get added to their fees to cover the expense?
  2. I spent a total of 20 minutes inside the courthouse. I went through a very efficient line only to get to, what I assume was, an assistant DA that asked what I would like to do about the ticket. I asked for it to be "reduced." This is what those lawyers wanted to do, so why can't I ask the same thing. So it got reduced, which also reduced the fine to $15 (see math wizards, here is the missing money from above.) I am not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but $564/hour for court costs seems exorbitant.  This comes to about 45 minutes total away from work for parking and walking to and from the courthouse.
  3. I had to pay for parking, $2, which is money the city and the parking company would not have had. So really, I paid $205 to take care of a $15 ticket. 

What are other costs I may be missing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...