Skip to main content

Not the Eric Stewart You Are Looking For: Episode XLII

Occasionally, I get emails intended for ANOTHER Eric Stewart. How do you handle these incidents? What should I do the next time I get one of these?

This message has been sent through Gumtree mail, which keeps your email address private. We recommend that you always reply this way and be wary of anyone asking you to use their private email addresses. If there is anything about the message that you think is suspicious, do not reply and report it to the Gumtree team. We will get back to you asap.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your interest but your CV has not been attached and has not come through to me. Please re-send.
Cheers,
David
From: Gumtree Mail Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:06 AM To: redacted@hotmail.com Subject: Eric Stewart replied to your ad: Experienced garden landscaping labourer wanted
Dear David, You have received a reply to your ad: "Experienced garden landscaping labourer wanted" posted in Gardening & Landscaping Jobs in London. From: Eric Stewart Hi, I have attached a copy of my c.v. if you have any questions please dont hesitate to contact me. I am a hard worker who can think on my feet and enjoy a laugh and a joke. Regards Eric
Need to respond? Answer this message by pressing 'Reply' and Gumtree will make sure your email address stays hidden (we don't recommend that you share your email address, as this can sometimes lead to bad stuff like fraud or spam). Top tips for your protection as an advertiser: Meet face to face. Don't send items or receive payments remotely, almost all fraud on Gumtree happens when people don't meet in person Beware of fake Paypal emails saying that money has been transferred See our Stay Safe page for more tips From The Gumtree Team

I could already tell that the job was most likely not based in the USA by use of the term c.v. So I did a little research using the links in the email and this was my reply

I don't know what to say. That would be one heck of a commute for a contract landscaping job seeing as how I am in the United States. At least I am on the east coast. It seems as though there has been an error in transcribing the email address. However, I would love to work in London one day. I can only imagine my joy at the opportunity to eventually attend an Arsenal match. Even Chelsea, Fulham or West Ham. Tottenham would be OK if the gunners were playing there that day.
I guess I would have to get used to putting an extra U in words like color, and labor. Maybe even have to work on my pronunciation of aluminum, schedule, advertisement and other words. As you may already know, I am fan of Premier League football, but I am also a fan of Top Gear, so I think getting accustomed to those subtleties would be rather easy.
My c.v. is attached, though I am not the type of employee you seek. In the meantime, I suggest you double check the email address you were given.
Sincerely,
Eric Stewart

Shortly thereafter I received another email
Thanks Eric great response are you sure you don't fancy working in the great outdoors away from that screen? Very strange that your email is being used by someone via Gumtree as I actually replied via their site?? However you have made my wife (an architect) and I chuckle. I am a Fulham fan and a closet Gunners fan, unfortunately we won't be playing each other anytime soon as Fulham dropped out of the Premier League recently. All the best, David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...