Skip to main content

Umstead Strikes Again



Recently, I joined a group on Facebook to facilitate group gravel rides at Umstead Park. I've been there a few times before and have more bad luck than good. The first time I rode there I had a very bad cramp. Probably because I tried to do too much too early into my reintroduction to cycling. Another time, I was stung by a yellow jacket. However, with this new group, I was ready to give it another try. So I set up a ride this past Saturday. This time was, once again, a disaster.

The ride started normally and we ended up having a total of seven riders. My previous rides at Umstead had excluded one trail due to it being closed. This time though, I suggested we take the trail since I had never ridden it before. I got off the preferred line, and into some looser gravel, and crashed. Not a bad crash, but I did end up on the ground.

Later, as we are descending on another trail, I hit a rock and my rear tire went flat. After changing repairing the flat the ride continued. I could feel though, that I didn't inflate the tire enough. The tire felt spongy and in the corners I could feel it rolling off the rim. The guy riding behind me mentioned that it was looking low and about to come off the rim. I was planning to stop and put more air in when, again, it went flat.

This seems to be my Umstead normal. Bad luck of some sort every time I go out there. I am not done yet. I will go back, I will give it another try. Maybe next time I will take two, or three tubes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...