Skip to main content

Brumley Rocks are Hard

I have heard about Brumley and was even told once that I would enjoy riding there with my cross bike. So this morning I drove 45 minutes to explore the trails. The ride started well and I was really enjoying my time on the bike. Shortly after this photo was taken,
I encountered a technical, to my novice off-road experience, rocky section. On that rocky downhill section, I attempted to go down with one foot still clipped in and my other foot on the ground. Unfortunately, It was steeper than I thought I ended up going down on the rocks. I tried to break my fall with my hands, which I partially did. However, my left shoulder took the brunt of the impact. Upon picking up my bike I realized my rear wheel was not spinning. Upon first inspection, I thought my brake pads were rubbing on my tires. So I did what seemed sensible. I put the bike on my shoulder, it's a cross bike after all, I started walking down the trail. A fellow cyclist stopped to check on my condition and noticed that my quick release was not in the correct location in the droupout. At first, we assumed my skewer was bent and I would be out of luck. So I walked a bit more carrying my bike along the trail. Several other cyclists passed and asked if I was OK. Eventually, I loosened the quick release and my wheel repositioned itself and I was able to ride out. Even before my mishap on the rocks, all of the hikers, joggers and other cyclists were very friendly and accommodating on the trails. So now, back at home I am taking inventory of my injuries
and will be examining my bike later to see if it needs to head to the shop for further inspection or repairs. My main concern is how will my shoulder feel tomorrow and Wednesday night when I am goalkeeping during my soccer games and I have to dive on my left side.

My ride on Strava

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...