Skip to main content

Stepping Into Weather Nerdom

I have enjoyed Weather Underground for years. I have known about the ability to add personal weather stations (PWS) to their site for years. Well, it has finally happened. I bought a PWS. Recently, Woot had one for sale at a pretty nice discount. It is an Acurite 5-in-1 weather station. I received it last week and set it up this past weekend. It is now reporting conditions to Weather Underground and you can observe the data collected from my backyard here. Temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, wind chill, heat index, "feels like," dew point, precipitation rate, precipitation amount are the basic measurements the instrument records.

In addition to reporting data to Weather Underground, there is a display console that is inside the house to display the outdoor conditions along with indoor conditions including temperature and humidity. There are apps that are available for both iOS and Android that connect to the weather station and display all of the information as well as a webpage .

At first I put regular alkaline batteries in the system, even though the documentation recommended lithium. Those batteries died in about 48 hours. Now with new lithium batteries in place, I hope the station stays operational much longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...