R.E.M. officially disbanded in 2011. However, their impact will be felt for for decades. One of the great things that continues to happen is articles are still be written about the band and their music. This one from diffuser, in particular, is one of my favorites thus far. It is about all the "places" conjured up in the music and lyrics of their songs. Having finally made a trip to Athens last summer, I am reminded of the fun I had finding just a few of the icons of their life and career.
Each February I create a mix CD for Gina. It has happened every February since I have met her. This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix. That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate. However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's. The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version. The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording. We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend. It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.
Comments
Post a Comment