Skip to main content

The State Of Music

We often drive to Michigan from our home in North Carolina to visit family. Before I even met Gina, she and her kids would drive back and forth. One day her son started singing John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads as they crossed the border into West Virginia. Gina then remembered she had that song on a CD. From that point forward she would play the song whenever they entered WV. When I first made the trip I noticed we crossed over the Cuyahoga River in OH. I immediately thought of the song that shares the rivers name by R.E.M. I mentioned that we should make a CD of different songs representing the states we drive through. I finally did it for our last trip.

  1. James Taylor - Carolina In My Mind
  2. The Rosebuds - Esse Quam Videri
  3. Foo Fighters - Virginia Moon
  4. Gin Blossoms - Virginia
  5. America - Old Virginia
  6. John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
  7. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth
  8. R.E.M. - Cuyahoga
  9. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio
  10. Johnny Cash - Saginaw Michigan
  11. The Milk Carton Kids - Michigan
  12. Arkells - Michigan Left




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...