Skip to main content

Where are my keys?

Yesterday, I took the boys to meet a friend at a local park.  While waiting for this friend to show up, my son asked me if he could get the soccer ball from the car.  So I gave him the keys and he went to the parking lot to retrieve the ball.  Upon his return he tried to toss the keys to me.  His launch was either too powerful or the trajectory was not calculated correctly, maybe even both.  Sitting on the bench, watching the keys sail past me, high in the air and then hearing a thud above my head as the keys landed on the roof of the building, I must have had a look of shock.


As you can see, it is a flat roof building, so the keys would not be sliding off.  I immediately said something to the effect of, "look at what you have done to us."  The wife was out of town, so rescue from her was beyond possibility.  Also, the roof was approximately 11'-2" above the ground, no way I could jump up to the roof.  I walked around the building hoping to find an access ladder. There was no ladder.  Fortunately, on the back of the building there was a small area enclosed with a chain link fence.  Next to that area, there was a CMU wall that was only 7'-4" tall.  I was able to scale the fence, walk the short distance on the CMU wall to the edge of the roof.  I forgot to take a picture, but here is a Revit model of the area in question.



I lifted myself to the roof and walked over to retrieve my keys.  I tossed the keys to my kid and then proceed to lower myself back to the CMU wall.  Trying to find that wall, blindly dangling over the edge was a little sketchy.  I did though find solid footing and then jumped off the wall to the ground.  I consider myself lucky to have gotten out of that situation without having the police called and without injuring myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...