Skip to main content

Hospital Strangeness

While walking around New Hanover Regional Medical Center I witnessed a few odd things.  Let's start with a simple computer security vulnerability.


The above is a computer in a waiting area for volunteers and vendors to use.  Sure, you first need a PIN.  However, the password is written on a sticky note on the monitor.  The password is just two capital letters, NH.  Don't get me started on their use of "PIN number."

Next we get a visit from captain obvious.


A rolling PVC linen cart that has each of the three shelves labeled.  Really, the bottom shelf is labeled "BOTTOM SHELF" with an arrow pointing at the shelf that is, well, the bottom shelf.  Same for "TOP SHELF" and "SECOND SHELF."  Not shown in this picture is a handle used for pushing/pulling the cart.  I watched a worker grab the cart, not from the handle, and pull the cart to another room.  In the worker's defense, the handle was NOT labeled.

Then I saw this.



I have a feeling there are a lot of reports being done in that area.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mix it up

Each February I create a mix CD for Gina.  It has happened every February since I have met her.  This past year she suggested I do an R.E.M. mix.  That is like asking me to pick my favorite child, or my favorite type of chocolate.  However, I was able to narrow it down to 47 tracks spanning three CD's.  The theme was alternate versions. The first track in the pairing (and one triplet) was the original album or single version.  The following songs were either a live version, alternate mix, different vocal track or outtake recording.  We had the opportunity to listen to all three CD's this past weekend.  It was fun to create the compilation and to explain how the alternate versions were different.

Warning! Danger! A Guide to Car Dash Symbols

Automobiles are becoming increasingly sophisticated each year.  Our American society can be a very litigious one.  Car manufacturers realize this and in an attempt to keep us safe, and themselves out of the court room, they crowd car instrument panels with warning lights to alert drivers of potential hazards.  Below are just a few symbols and what they mean. This is a new feature on a select few cars.  When this symbol is illuminated, it is alerting you to the fact that the vehicles Rear Thrusters are engaged. While it should be common sense, a car is no place to play.  This is a simple reminder that beachballs should not be tossed about the passenger cabin. Although rare, this is a simple reminder that you are diving one of two conjoined cars.  This task is made more difficult when each vehicle has it's own independent power and/or drivetrain. Many cars now have sensors mounted in the rear of the vehicle.  They are helpfu...

Education is important, proofreading maybe more.

I make no claims to be grammatically correct at all times. I am subject to typos and errors. However, if you are going to send a mass email about EDUCATION, maybe you should  have a couple of people look over a draft before hitting the send button. Below is an email I received today. I will highlight the most obvious errors. Eric – For the last few years, we’ve seen a systematic assault on public education in North Carolina. First, they underfunded and our classrooms and refused to give our best and brightest teachers the pay they deserve. Then they siphoned money away from traditional public schools to unaccountable charter schools, as well as private, religious institutions. Now we’re seeing the next step in their plan: the takeover of public schools by for-profit charter schools. Click here to add your name and urge lawmakers to reject HB 1080, which would allow unaccountable, for-profit charter school operators to take control of traditional public schools. There’s no...